Minister Eoghan Murphy approves €14 Million under the Disabled Persons Grant Scheme
Minister Eoghan Murphy approves €14 million under the Disabled Persons Grant Scheme
Eoghan Murphy, T.D., Minister for Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government, today (22 June, 2018) approved the allocation of €14 million funding in respect of the Disabled Persons Grant Scheme. The scheme is demand-led and allows local authorities to prioritise works based on need.
The Disabled Persons Grant Scheme provides funding for extensions and adaptations to existing social housing stock such as grab rails, disabled access ramps, wet rooms, etc. The scheme also provides extensions in cases of overcrowding.
This scheme alleviates the need for elderly people and those with disabilities to be placed in high support accommodation and allows them to continue living in the comfort of their own homes. Exchequer funding meets 90% of the cost of the works, with the local authority providing the remaining 10%.
The scheme also provides funding for Improvement Works in Lieu of Social Housing (IWIL’s) ousing (IWIL’s)Housing HHousingin order to improve or extend privately owned accommodation, where the applicant is already approved for social housing. This allows people to remain in private housing while their housing need is met without increasing the strain on current social housing stock and also reduces the numbers of persons who might otherwise find themselves homeless.
Minister Murphy welcomed the efforts being made by all local authorities to improve the quality of life for those with disabilities and those affected by over-crowding, stating that “this will greatly improve the housing conditions for our older tenants and those living with disabilities and addresses issues of overcrowding in existing social housing stock. Improvement works on private homes in lieu of social housing will also provide an alternative for those currently experiencing overcrowding in private accommodation. It is my intention to liaise with local authorities to maximise the uptake of this important scheme.”
Minister Murphy added “I am very pleased today to allocate funding of €14million under this scheme. This is an increase of €2million on the 2017 allocation. The scheme will be kept under review and I am prepared to provide further funding if the need arises”.
“This will greatly improve the housing conditions for our older tenants and those living with disabilities”
The Five Pillars
The Action Plan for Housing and Homelessness includes a comprehensive Five Pillar approach – these pillars are the foundations upon which we will build our plan. They are open to debate, additions and amendments, but for now they will be our starting point for immediate action.
This is an initiative of the Government of Ireland
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.